Avid releases Pro Tools 2020.3 – Folder Tracks!
Posted on: Tuesday 31st of March 2020
Avid teased ‘Folder Tracks’ at NAMM in January – now they’re here – Pro Tools 2020.3 has been released! Folder Tracks will transform mixing and impact session management in all sorts of ways – folders will tidy up Auxiliary tracks for sub-mixing and VCA tracks for session control, and make screens look more logical and projects easier to grasp in overview.
Folder tracks can perform a simple organisational function or can be part of your session routing infrastructure. There are two types of folder tracks: Basic Folder Tracks and Routing Folder Tracks. Basic Folder Tracks are simply for organizational purposes and allow you to quickly collapse your tracks and tidy them out of the way. Routing Folders combine the organizational aspect of a Basic Folder with the ability to route audio through the folder as you would an Aux Input. You can immediately see the difference in the Mix Window or Edit Window as a Routing Folder has audio functions on the track such as inserts, sends and so on while a Basic Folder does not.
Some details on Folder Tracks:
- Solos and mutes on the folder will logically affect their member tracks, simplifying auditioning and mixing.
- The Overview view on the folder timeline shows a simplified representation of all the clips on the contained tracks. It provides a bird’s eye view of the contents of each folder, serving as a visual guide for navigating and editing even when the folder is closed.
- Edit all member tracks together as a group. Many edit commands are available when you make an edit selection on the folder’s timeline.
- Use keyboard shortcuts to move tracks into new folders, open and close them, and extend edit selections to all member tracks with shortcuts.
- Modifications keys make it easier to select folder members, and open and close multiple folder combinations.
- Save folders and their member tracks as a Track Preset to easily import organized groups of tracks into other sessions.
- Folder tracks are designed so that the sound of your session will not change when opened on an older version of Pro Tools.
QuickTime Video (Only) Import/Playback Support for macOS Catalina
Qualified QuickTime video can now be imported and played back on macOS Catalina. The following file types and codecs may now be used.
Apple ProRes (MOV)
H.264 (CFR Media Only) (MOV, MP4, M4V)
Pro Tools 2020.3 is available for download (1.81 GB) from your Avid account. Pro Tools First remains free (but with a single project in the cloud and 23 plugins), subscription Pro Tools from €28 per month (unlimited projects and 115 plugins included) and Pro Tools Ultimate at €74.50 per month. The software is compatible with macOS Catalina (macOS 10.13.6 minimum), and will require a machine with a Core i5 processor, 16GB of RAM (32GB recommended) and 15GB of free storage space.